> Usually "an" comes before a word that starts with a vowel, i.e a, e,
> i, o, u. So one would say "an eight o'clock meeting" or "an 8 o'clock
> meeting". More examples: an amphibian, an egg, an igloo, an octopus,
> an umbrella. However, there are situations when this rule doesn't
> apply. In software engineering, one uses UML diagrams as part of the
> design process. Although this acronym starts with a capital "u", it's
> pronounced and written as "a UML diagram" not "an UML diagram", just
> as in "a ewe" not "an ewe".

Then you must pronounce that word differently than I do, because for
me it's "an ewe." I don't pronounce it like "you," it's more like
"eeew," as in "eeew, disgusting." I don't remember how to write proper
phonetics - linguistics class was too long ago, or I would do that.
But at least in my dialect 'ewe' doesn't start with a consonant sound.

But by and large I agree with you, just this one word that I pronounce
differently. And it's *all* about pronunciation with a/an as well as
the two different pronunciations of 'the,' although they don't matter
to this discussion since they're written the same. It's all to make it
easier to say and to sound better.

Erik