On 29 Dez., 07:14, William Stein <wst...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 28, 2009 at 9:55 PM, davidgal...@gmail.com
>
> <davidgal...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > I downloaded the G4 PowerPC dmg file (all 409 MB) and gried to mount
> > it.
> > Received a message that the file was damaged. Mounted it anyway and
> > tried to
> > copy it to my hard disk. The copy failed.
>
> > I note that the dmg contained a folder named "sage" rather than the
> > sage.app
> > which appeared on the intel dmg.
>
> > This broken file syndrome had occurred on an earlier mark of sage.
>
> I built the binary.  I recall that the build machine has a
> case-sensitive filesystem, so that's likely the problem.      Harald
> -- can you remove the binary, then add a new one if somebody else
> provides ones for that machine.  I can't build one, evidently, since
> the build machine I have access to is actually not mine.
>
> William

Hi,

first of all: the newly uploaded  "sage-4.3-OSX10.4-32bit-G4-
PowerMacintosh-Darwin.dmg", "MD5: a2a669c7598aed3f38f05e93c04f4d9e",
approx. 420 MB in size, should be fine and do the job now. Please note
that it is not an "Mac App" build, however, but an "old style" one.

Now for some clarifications: the "broken" .dmg originally mentioned in
this thread is not a "G4" .dmg --- probably there was a confusion with
the "4" that comes from Mac OS X 10.4. That .dmg had the name
"sage-4.3-osx10.4-powerpc-PowerMacintosh-Darwin.dmg", md5 sum "MD5:
ff6cc952b96b04589fda6fad03a0b4eb " and was approx. 409 MB in size.

There were two problems with that one. Firstly, it was build on a case-
sensitive file-system. If you have a non-case-sensitive file-system
(e.g. an old HFS one), than simply drag-and-drop from the opened dmg
does not work. (The workaround in the accompagnying Readme-File (via
cp -R -P ...) does work, I tested it.) Secondly, that Sage binary was
obviously built on a machine with a PowerPC G5 (again: *not* a G4),
since on a G4 machine, Sage does not start up with a well known error-
message (incompatible cpu-subtype in libgmp.3.dylib). So for certain
settings, it was perfectly usable, but it was removed nevertheless
from the servers.

Cheers,
Georg