> I have access to a PowerPC G4 with 10.4.11. I can try my hand at
> producing the binary. Can someone help me out and point me to the
> instructions?
>
> Franco

Hi Franco,

thank you for your offer!

I think you posted your answer before reading mine above; the job is
already done (go e.g. to the mirror
http://sage.scipy.org/sage/osx/powerpc/index.html
and you'll already see the file "sage-4.3-OSX10.4-32bit-G4-
PowerMacintosh-Darwin.dmg" which should do the job).

To answer your original question:

- download and unpack the source (tarred) distribution on your PowerPC
Mac in a filesystem which is not case-sensitive (default for older HFS
ones on Mac)

- in a (bash) terminal, cd to this directory, and type:

- export SAGE_BINARY_BUILD=yes

- make

- (wait some hours)

- export SAGE_APP_DMG = yes

- ./sage -bdist 4.3-OSX10.4-32bit-G4

- (wait a bit more)

- smoketest the .dmg (to be found under the new "dist/" subdir), i.e.
open it, install sage from it, run that install with some commands
like "ModularSymbols(53,2,1)", open the notebook(), check some entry
in the help/documentation

- upload the .dmg to someplace

Additionally to (not instead of!) "export SAGE_APP_DMG = yes" you can
do "export SAGE_APP_BUNDLE = yes", if you wish to create a "Mac App"
version.

The TiBook I use has only a 550Mhz CPU, what are the specs of the G4
Mac you have access to? Could you help out building the G4 dmg every
now and then?

Cheers,
Georg