OK, on gcc54 only the C++ tests fail. But they always did. There is
actually a library missing from the machine which is needed to run
binaries compiled by the C++ compiler. All the C test binaries pass on
gcc54.

So the only issue is actually on t2. Basically I think there is a
whole pile of wrong stuff in LD_LIBRARY_PATH. By default when I log
into that machine it is set to:

 /usr/local/gcc-4.2.4-sun-linker/lib:/usr/local/lib

So not much wonder 64 bit binaries don't work. Basically my guess is
this is not an MPIR problem, but a problem with the way the machine is
set up. But I could easily turn out to be wrong about this.

Bill.