Hi

On Fri, Jun 11, 2010 at 10:30:04AM -0700, Rob wrote:
> > I guess an XPPAUT wrapper and having xppaut included in sage is first prize.
>
> As a long-time user of XPP and python I disagree strongly. I don't
> think wrapping that software would be a smart way to proceed for
> Sage.

OK. Your experience trumps my guess.

> Regarding another poster's comment about XPP: Of all the things to
> criticise, I think the complaint that XPP looks and acts old because
> of its X11 Tk/tcl style interface is a bit bizarre!  I don't have any
> trouble working with it. Many, many students and faculty still pick it
> up and use it, especially if they don't want to get too bogged down in
> programming. But I agree that if you want to invest your time wisely
> for the future, and you are willing to learn a proper programming
> language, a python-based approach is the way to go.

Same poster :) I respectfully disagree on the sentiment

1. Interface matters. A lot. Nothing bizarre about that.

2. "Many, many" do. Many, many don't. Tit for tat. I work with
students and researchers new to computing. They do not have the
memory we have of when this style was advanced.

3. My advice was that XPP is worth it despite its atrocious cursor focus
and cut/copy/paste behaviour, in this day and age. I guess we're making
the same point there.

regards,
Jan

--