Hi guys - I am sure that there is much more available. But actually William
you hit the nail on the head. The page I used was "a small undergraduate
student project" and its contents are useful and accessible. That is the
level I want  - so a student or someone like me can use Sage in place of
MatLab or Mathematica in the undergraduate mathematics classroom without
getting bogged down in learning programming. To me, the problem is that so
often (a) I cannot find something basic or if I do: (b) I cannot understand
how to use it in Sage. Do a search for "sage statistics" or "sage
histogram" and you are immediately passed off to one or more of the
underlying programming languages each with its own specific syntax style.
For the first search, that one page is all there is for sage. For
histograms, I spent *many, many hours* searching before I wrote my first
comment in this thread. I found and tried every single one of the commands
in the "sage stat reference" pages. I did the scipy stuff. I could sort of
get an array with the counts and the bins if I worked at it really hard (I
had to separate out the returns), but I never could find a way to plot it.
I am sure there is some reference, but I could not find it.
Perhaps this: "a student or someone like me can use Sage in place of MatLab
or Mathematica in the undergraduate mathematics classroom" is not a goal of
Sage. However, my impression was that this was one of the goals and it was
the reason I started to use it and work at it (and build my own wiki and
youtube channel - places that explain the basic stuff). I am not
complaining, but rather explaining that "massive" and "complete" is not
always that helpful in the undergraduate (and even graduate) math
classroom.
Finally, thanks always to everyone for replying any which way to my
questions. An active forum is a blessing and one of the many excellent
points of Sage.