The "dev" object in Sage is equivalent to the "sage -dev" command line.
Arguments are translated between Python to Shell calling conventions, so

$ sage -dev diff --base master

is the same as

sage: dev.diff(base='master')

Help overview:

$ sage -dev help
usage: sage-dev [-h] subcommand ...

The developer interface for sage.

optional arguments:
  -h, --help            show this help message and exit

subcommands:
    abandon             Abandon a ticket or branch.
    checkout            Checkout another branch.
    clean               Restore the working directory to the most recent
commit.
    comment             Add a comment to "ticket" on trac.
    commit              Create a commit from the pending changes on the
current branch.
    create-ticket       Create a new ticket on trac.
    diff                Show how the current file system differs from
"base".
    download-patch      Legacy support: Download a patch to a temporary
directory.
    edit-ticket         Edit the description of "ticket" on trac.
    help                show help message and exit
    import-patch        Legacy support: Import a patch into the current
branch.
    merge               Merge changes from "ticket_or_branch" into the
current branch.
    needs-info          Set a ticket on trac to "needs_info".
    needs-review        Set a ticket on trac to "needs_review".
    needs-work          Set a ticket on trac to "needs_work".
    positive-review     Set a ticket on trac to "positive_review".
    prune-tickets       Remove branches for tickets that are already merged
into master.
    pull                Pull "ticket_or_remote_branch" to "branch".
    push                Push the current branch to the Sage repository.
    remote-status       Show information about the status of "ticket".
    set-remote          Set the remote branch to push to for
"branch_or_ticket" to "remote_branch".
    show-dependencies   Show the dependencies of "ticket".
    tickets             Print the tickets currently being worked on in your
local repository.
    upload-ssh-key      Upload "public_key" to gitolite through the trac
interface.
    vanilla             Return to a clean version of Sage.

Help for subcommands:

$ sage -dev diff -husage: sage-dev diff [-h] [--base BASE]

Show how the current file system differs from "base".

optional arguments:
  -h, --help   show this help message and exit
  --base BASE  a string; show the differences against the latest "'commit'"
(the default), against the branch
               "'master'" (or any other branch name), or the merge of the
"'dependencies'" of the current ticket
               (if the dependencies merge cleanly)