Am 2014-08-12 um 17:42 schrieb Nils Bruin:
> On Tuesday, August 12, 2014 7:29:01 AM UTC-7, Daniel Krenn wrote:
>     (<type 'sage.symbolic.expression.Expression'>, 28257)
>

> This could be a large number (although expressions are recursive data
> structures, so one complicated expression can cause a lot of them to
> exist).

I'm using a lot of symbolic expressions, so this does not worry me.

> Expressions could keep things in ecl alive, but there would have
> to be EclObjects in memory for that and you're finding none. This
> suggests that anything you're sending over to maxima gets sent there via
> the strings-based interface.

Ok.

>     (<type 'tuple'>, 38713)
>     (<type 'sage.rings.rational.Rational'>, 3555901)
>
> that is a rather huge number. Are you keeping a large number of tuples
> with rational numbers in memory somewhere (roughly 100 numbers per tuple
> on average)? If not, then you may want to look where these are coming from.

Actually, no. I don't use rationals much. I have to check the code very
carefully to see, where they might be hidden.
On the other hand, my calculation uses about 3.5 Gigabytes of Memory, so
this would mean about 1 Kilobyte per rational, which are quite large
numbers (and I'm not sure, I'm using that large numbers). But as I said,
I will check.

> [...] So, my guess is that you're just making a lot of calls to maxima that
> end up using the strings-based interface, rather than the binary
> interface, and that the memory blow-up you're experiencing is the
> accumulation of (unbound) `$sage...` symbols. This is certainly
> something that would always happen, albeit slowly. However, you could of
> course be running into a different leak as well, so it may be worth
> playing around with the above yourself a bit.

I will (answers follow, but maybe only in two weeks or so...)

Thanks for your input.

Daniel