On Monday, August 11, 2014 4:46:45 AM UTC-7, Daniel Krenn wrote:

> Am 2014-08-10 um 17:38 schrieb Nils Bruin:
> > On Sunday, August 10, 2014 6:31:03 AM UTC-7, Dima Pasechnik wrote:
> >     (it's not clear how the latter can be done; would
> >     maxima_calculus.reset() do the job?)
>
> Tried again (since I had troubles before; see other posting), but memory
> is not released.

As expected.  If you want to get some idea of what is taking memory at the
sage side you could do something like

import gc
from collections import Counter
gc.collect()
pre={id(c) for c in gc.get_objects()}

<your computation>

gc.collect()
post=Counter(type(o) for o in gc.get_objects() if id(o) not in pre)
sorted(post.iteritems(),key=lambda t: t[1])

It'll give you a list of python object types that occur in memory, sorted
by count. This might give you an indication of what is leaking on the
python side. It may well be nothing, in which case it's probably maxima
leaking or ecl keeping freed memory mapped for future use. It's likely that
the memory behaviour you're observing isn't easily changed.