Ok... To me, this sounds like we have to uninstall MeatAxe on CoCalc.

The CoCalc setup is quite easy to explain, and so far I wasn't aware of any
issues. Sage is in a globally shared read-only directory
/ext/sage/sage-<version> and permissions are set such that a user "user"
can read/exec it. Hence, only what's installed into this directory is
available to a user/project. I checked, and even on the machine where Sage
is built for CoCalc, there is neither a subdirectory in $DOT_SAGE/meataxe,
nor can I find that missing file in the sources.

I'm wondering which other packages depend on it...

I'll try to install MeatAxe again, though. Maybe that reveals a problem …
but in that case I think it's weird that while the installation is broken,
the branching for selecting the matrix implementation is still trying to
pick it.

-- h

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/sage-support/cd0c9b80-48d0-4bea-b27b-6d1f0b265ccf%40googlegroups.com.