Hi Harald,

On 2019-07-12, Harald Schilly <harald.schi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Ok... To me, this sounds like we have to uninstall MeatAxe on CoCalc.
>
> The CoCalc setup is quite easy to explain, and so far I wasn't aware of any
> issues. Sage is in a globally shared read-only directory
> /ext/sage/sage-<version> and permissions are set such that a user "user"
> can read/exec it.

But not write? Then there is the underlying reason why meataxe doesn't
work. I created the SharedMeatAxe wrapper under the assumption that a
user has write permissions in DOT_SAGE.

> I'm wondering which other packages depend on it...

p_group_cohomology. I guess that's all. And of course matrix arithmetic
over non-prime finite fields is a lot faster with MeatAxe as backend
than with Sage's generic matrix implementation (that is used when
MeatAxe is not installed).

> I'll try to install MeatAxe again, though. Maybe that reveals a problem …
> but in that case I think it's weird that while the installation is broken,
> the branching for selecting the matrix implementation is still trying to
> pick it.

I don't believe the installation is broken. It is just that the
installation relies on a contract that is broken on CoCalc (if missing
write permission to DOT_SAGE is the problem).

Best regards,
Simon

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/sage-support/qga3ae%242lit%241%40blaine.gmane.org.