On Monday, 27 March 2023 at 17:47:54 UTC-7 Isuru Fernando wrote:

We used to have separate architecture specific builds, but `sage` is now a
meta-package that is architecture neutral (i.e. noarch).
So, you get sage-9.8 for all architectures. We support sage-9.8 for the
following OS and architecture combinations
- linux-x86_64  (glibc>=2.12, most distros after 2010)
- linux-aarch64  (glibc>=2.17, most distros after 2014)
- macos-x86_64  (macos>=10.9)
- macos-arm64  (macos>=11.0)
You can have a look at https://anaconda.org/conda-forge/sagelib to see the
architecture-specific builds.

Thanks! I was hoping for an answer like that.Then it sounds like conda is
presently the best option to get up to date binary sage.

> Also: if students want to use packages like normaliz, can they install
those on binary installs? When I do it on source-built versions, it
triggers extensive recompilation.

With conda, you can install binary packages for normaliz and thousands of
other packages into the same environment as sage.

I'm not sure that's quite enough. In my experience, sagelib needs
rebuilding to interface with normaliz (I think it's "make normaliz
pynormaliz" nowadays, or perhaps one needs a pip install). I would expect
that the binary distribution of sage for conda is built without
normaliz/pynormaliz support, because those are optional packages.
Installing these as prerequisites in conda wouldn't automatically activate
the interfaces in sagemath. Does conda do something to get that to work?
Has sagemath grown better at dynamically detecting libraries to interface
with?