On Tuesday, 28 March 2023 at 21:06:26 UTC-7 Matthias Koeppe wrote:

On Monday, March 27, 2023 at 6:34:50 PM UTC-7 Nils Bruin wrote:

In my experience, sagelib needs rebuilding to interface with normaliz (I
think it's "make normaliz pynormaliz" nowadays, or perhaps one needs a pip
install).

No, there is no such build-time dependency. And "make pynormaliz" suffices;
it builds normaliz and its dependencies.

If I recall correctly, "make pynormaliz" did trigger a rebuild of sagelib,
with quite a bit of cython action. This leads me to believe that it's
probably nor possible to install pynormaliz via "make" in a binary
distribution.

If in conda installing "pynormaliz" works fine without sagelib needing to
be rebuilt then that is great. I think it does mean that in binary
distributions, optional packages need to be installed via a package manager
outside of sage. So "spkg" is only for source-based installs.