We do something similar with our in-house programs.  (We have racks of
machines that just sit and do OCR processing all day, and it'd be tough
for us to know if they went down.  Bear with me, this is actually
relevant, hahaha.)

Every minute, the in-house OCR program running on each machine updates a
record in a SQL table on the central database server.  The table has
fields for machine name, program name, quoted time, and actual time of
the insert (per the SQL server).  The quoted time is from the machine,
the actual time is a datestamp done by the SQL server.

Then, you would compare the datestamps of the two columns - if they were
significantly different, then you could sound an alarm.  I'm a web
programmer, so I see every page as a URL check, and how we do it is to
have a web page that queries the table and only looks for records older
than 5 minutes (indicating the program/machine has stopped responding)
or where the time variance between the machine's time and the server's
time is more than, say, 10 seconds.

We don't actually use SA for this, because the alerting gets kind of
complex from there, but I thought it might be helpful.

Brent

Brent Ozar - UniFocus
"She set your goldfish free
 And now she's sighing