Title: Servers Alive Service

Could someone please explain how SA the Service works with SA the Application. Are they one and the same thing, with just the service running all the time whether the server is logged on or not, and the application providing the interface to add and remove checks? Or are they separate entities, as one can be run without the other. Do they use the same setup, config and host files?

The reason I ask is that I am currently setting up SA 5.0 and have seen a couple of anomalies when running both the service and the application at the same time - I update the setup in the application interface, then when I restart the service I lose the updates. The HTML status summary seems to have stopped updating since I last restarted the service, and they initially appeared to be using different credentials for connecting to services, until I set the service to start using the domain credentials.

Thanks in advance.

Richard Gibson