I see two ways to put an item on maintenance - using a schedule, or
manually setting an item on maintenance.

If my maintenance period is one time, from 2:00 pm until 3:00 pm on
Monday, I have to either configure the settings on the Schedule tab so
that the item is not checked during that time frame, or I have to
uncheck the item in the list so that it isn't monitored.

In both cases, when maintenance is complete, I have to go to the item
and either configure the settings on the Schedule tab so that the item
will not go on maintenance next week at the same time, or check the item
in the list so that it is monitored.

In some cases, I would like to be able to configure the maintenance
settings once, and after the time has passed, the settings are removed
for me.  I consider this a Temporary Maintenance situation.

In some cases, I would like to be able to retain the settings.  I
consider this a Permanent Maintenance situation.

A checkbox on the Schedule tab with a label of Temporary Maintenance
would make it really easy.  The user could configure the settings, and
check the box.  After the maintenance time has passed, the settings
would be gone.  If the box is not checked, the settings would remain.