[Sorry for the delay in replying to this - I've been off with flu and not
really up to doing very much!]

Andrew Collier wrote:
> Just wondering.... will WinCoupe have the swame option as SimCoupe
> to emulate a Spectrum instead of a Sam?

I put it back in a few weeks ago...

> And if it does, will it still have all the Sam's instruction
> timings and whatever?

Yeah, everything's the same as SAM mode 1, except that it's seen as a real
ROM chip so it runs uncontended - that might actually even make it even less
useful than an emulator running in SAM mode as it's running too fast!  It
certainly doesn't use a Z80 clock of 3.5/3.54MHz or anything fancy like
that!

> Would it make the code much simpler to take the feature out?

It wasn't really much to add back in, so it's easy to take out - the only
changes made were:

- Use the Spectrum ROM image instead of ROM0
- Use a different keyboard table map so PC keyboard symbols locations are
correct for the Spectrum
- Border colour defaults to white on Z80 reset
- SAM memory paging is prepared so LMPR and HMPR don't overlap.

> I'm just thinking it perhaps isn't massively useful to include
> direct support for the Sam to emulate a Spectrum, when you can
>achieve that by loading a Spectrum emulator in the virtual Sam machine

Yeah true, and Martijn's excellent Spectrum emulator certainly does it a lot
better!  I used it for the first time recently, and it's a long way on from
the simple write-protected ROM method I used to use!  Alternatively, it's
even better to use a 'real' Spectrum emulator (like Z80 v4.0), or even a
real Spectrum if you're lucky enough to own one!

I suppose the Spectrum feature doesn't really belong in a SAM emulator
anyway.  I can't imagine replacing ROM 0 with a Spectrum ROM chip will work
on a real SAM anyway, as LMPR/HMPR are zero initialised on reset and
therefore overlap.

> no disk support, no tape support. Literally all you could do was
> type in a few lines of BASIC (without the symbol-shift key).

Well, there's better keyboard support in WinCoupe, but no disk or tape
support.  I didn't really think about it being so useless until you
mentioned this!  I guess it should probably be taken back out, tho the
keyboard mode might be worth keeping...  Anyone any thoughts/preference?