Roy Staines wrote:

> Doing some belated spring cleaning, I and my son felt eager to set up the
> Sam Coupe and have a play around.  It hasn't been used for a few years and
> when a software disk is put in and F9 is pressed I got error code 53 NO
> DOS.  Tried several disks and got the same, does that mean that the
> internal disk drive has died (never woke up)?

Could do... er assuming that your disks used to have DOS on them? :)  I
guess you must have at least one that does, otherwise you'd have noticed
by now.

My drive used to do that occasionally if I remember rightly... Try any
of these:

1. Poke open the drive door and blow into it, hard. Try it again. Used
to work sometimes.. gets rid of dust (...and hopefully doesnt replace it
with spit).

2. When you stick the disk in & press F9 and it does its whirring, put
your finger under the back of the disk & lift it up (in the drive)....
This definately used to work, but maybe all my disks were bent.

3. Shake it.  The Sam, the disk, everything.  Never did me any harm.

Er... hope those really-untechnical tips help.

fitz

--
Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED] ICQ: 11077801 Web: http://www.jazzyfrog.com