Quoting Geoff Winkless <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

> Dan Doore wrote:
> >> A World Of Spectrum style semi-official archive for SAM software,
> >> housed on the web and built by the members of sam-users.
> >
> > Bang on.
> >
> > BTW another vote here for samcoupe.org
>
> While I agree in principle that samcoupe.org would be the best for the site
> I think that as Colin has samcoupe.com it will serve to confuse.

Do you think? I kind of liked the symmetry - Colin with his software, hardware
and second hand SAMs is the closest we have to a major SAM company in its
heyday, so the .com fits him. Similarly, our .org is a non-profit making
organisation, the sort of community run SAM site. I thought it worked quite
well, although I see what you're saying.

> What sort of bandwidth do people think it would use? I already have a shared
> (with a few old uni mates) linux host (on which I have root access) and
> would be happy to host it if we're expecting a gig or so downloads a month -
> that much we can absorb into the spare bandwidth we have, if it's more I'd
> have to discuss it with the others.

I had a long think about hosting and our options and ways of doing it on the
cheap but in the end I thought it would be nice to spend a fiver a month and
get our own meaty bandwidth etc and not worry about taking advantage of other
people's generosity or the site suddenly going down etc.

> Note to Gavin: I'm not trying to take over here; if you'd rather host it
> yourself I won't be offended :)

I wouldn't think you're trying to take over, I would really hate it if people
thought of this as my pet project because I honestly think it's 100% a
sam-users thing. :)

Gavin