> not to sure on music .. but .. reading n writing to ram was always its
> contention .. mostly the screen banks .. if music and player was kept in a
> sep bank then i would assume it have little benifit .. depends on the size
> of code that was outputed

You'll have contention wherever you stick it in memory.

Really, to speed it up you'll have to look at your player code and try to
get that as efficient as possible as it'll be running every single frame.
Instead of processing a music file every frame and calculating values for
the SAA registers on the fly, you could have all the register data ready in
chucks to be OUT'd every frame, although it would eat up more RAM you would
benefit from a faster playback routine.

Chris - am I right in thinking that you (and perhaps Cookie) had written a
fast e-tracker player?

Colin
======
Quazar : Hardware, Software, Spares and Repairs for the Sam Coupe
1995-2007 - Celebrating 12 Years of developing for the Sam Coupe
Website: http://www.samcoupe.com/