I do all my SAM development on the PC, using a cross-assembler.  For SAM
development I
chose the AS80 PC cross-assembler...  Works a treat!  It's free, and you can
grab it here:

http://www.kingswood-consulting.co.uk/assemblers/

My editor of choice is StarBase's CodeWright 6.5 - which is great.  It's not
free though, and
is a little tricky to find these days.

For my initial foray into developing for the SAM - back in 1990(ish) - I used
the SCAssembler,
which can be found here:  http://www.worldofsam.org/node/536  Then, when Edwin
released
his superb Comet assembler, I moved all my source over to that.

Today - I would stick with developing on the PC though - it's much faster, and
coupled with
SimCoupé makes developing for the SAM a piece of cake!

Chris.