But Sim Coupe duplicates all known characteristics of the real
hardware now, right?

I was actually involved in writing emualtors as early as 1998, and
most of the early ones were horrible. Pretty much anything by Marat
Fayzulin or derived from his source still is — they're usually "run
the CPU for exactly this many cycles (usually one scanline of
display), then give all the support chips a chance to update their
state". Which is obviously just a cop out by unimaginative programmers
and in most cases are trivially incorrect.

Anyway, I think I've confused myself somewhere else, is Mode 2 no
faster than Modes 3 and 4, or is it a little faster but not as much
faster as having half the bytes to fetch should imply?