On Tue, Oct 13, 2009 at 06:13:24PM +0100, Thomas Harte wrote:
> Oh, I don't know. Surely Sinclair's model works only if you can
> establish yourself as the supplier of a proprietary computer aimed at
> the price conscious end of the market? I don't see how that could
> compete once a growing body of manufacturers were transferring to a
> PC-style open architecture. At some point economies of scale amongst
> the open people outweigh whatever economies you can achieve with a
> custom design and there's no way back from there.

I'm slightly younger than the Spectrum -- I'm aware of some of the
history, but never saw any of this first hand...

It seems to me that Sir Clive would never have been hugely worried
about maintaining a strong position within the market in the long
term... of course, that's not to say that he wouldn't have appreciated
having a 'cash cow' to fund his other project...

I suppose the ZX8[01] and Speccy really did make computing accessible
to a large number of people who would simply not have been otherwise
able to afford a computer.  On those terms, surely the Spectrum was a
success, despite not being quite the success that it could have been,
particularly in the education market?

Cheers,
--
Stuart Brady