David Christensen wrote:
Dale Schroeder wrote:
David,

Your netlogon share is more complicated than most.
Consider initially commenting out all the mask and mode parameters and the
valid users parameter.
If it then works, add them back one at a time until it breaks.

Depending on what the global preexec script does, you may want to initially
disable that also.

Check that the execute bit is set on the .bat files.  I used 755 permissions
with root:root ownership.
Check the permissions throughout the entire netlogon path (/mnt/samba/netlogon).
Were the files created in a DOS/Windows editor?

Dale

David Christensen wrote:

David Christensen wrote:

I have samba configured so that users have their own netlogon.bat file
(e.g. %U.bat) and each user has a .bat with their username in the
netlogon share.

So far I have been unable to get any of the shares that I have defined
in the batch file to be mounted when a user logs in.  Here is a snapshot
of both the netlogon section of my smb.conf file and the %U.bat file I
am using:

smb.conf:

preexec = /usr/local/bin/netlogon %U
logon script = %U.bat
logon home = \\%L\%U\.profiles
logon path = \\%L\profiles$\%U
logon drive = Z:

[netlogon]
path = /mnt/samba/netlogon
admin users = root, Administrator, Admin
valid users = %U
read only = no
browsable = no
create mask = 0770
force create mode = 0060
create directory mask = 0770
force directory mode = 0070
security mask = 0777
directory security mask = 0777

%U.bat:
@echo off
REM # In this example it is assumed the smb.conf handles home drive mapping
REM # All users get access to Common drive
net use Y: \\192.168.155.20\common

REM # Lastly lets set the davidc's time to 192.168.155.20's time
net time \\192.168.155.20 /set /yes

Updated info

The user can run the batch file manually from the netlogon share, so the
issue seems to be with it running automatically, is there any logs that
would capture an attempt to execute this file?
Determined by the "log file" and "log level" parameters, usually located in /var/log/samba.

The preexec script actually creates a netlogon.bat file for each user
when they log in and sets the file ownership to that of the user logging
in.  So the batch file is being created by the Linux server.  Since I
can execute the bat files manually via a command line on an XP host,
wouldn't that mean that the file is ok?
Everything I've read says the logon scripts have to be in DOS format. Here's one example of that admonition:
http://oreilly.com/catalog/samba/chapter/book/ch06_06.html

To keep it automated, you could add a unix2dos command in the script.
I commented everything you mentioned out and changed the file
permissions, still not playing fair.
The other parameters you provided look fairly standard.

Dale
David