I have joined the Linux server (Suse 11.2) to the Windows domain (win2003) and
users can login to the server using their window's domain credentials. Also can
view all of the domain groups using 'wbinfo -g', however when I try to set the
acls on a local dir' I get the follow error;

#setfacl -m g:DOMAIN\\groupname:r /tmp/testacl
setfacl: Option -m: Invalid argument near character 3

The setfacl tool knows nothing about Windos domains, hence the error you see. You can also use the user or group number as given by "getent passwd" and "getent group". In this case, setfacl does work.

You can also try smbcacls which comes with Samba or set the ACLs from a Windows client.