I just noticed that my question has two aspects to it.

Leaving aside, for now, the kernel connection, it would be very nice to have a command line tool to manipulate the ACLs stored by the vfs_acl_xattr module, even if it's only for Samba. There must be a way, some utility to read and write the information stored on the "security.NTACL" Extended Attribute in a form that humans can understand.

Maybe I am not expressing myself in the best of ways...