Not sure what you mean by "providing them to the OS" ? The store
in acl_xattr is a Samba-specific one. If you want the OS to use
them that means kernel changes.

Yes. A kernel module maybe, and a utility to manipulate the ACLs on xattr.
I really like your vfs_acl_xattr idea. Often I need to set ACLs on the server side for Windows clients, for example when connected to the servers via a SSH shell. I have been doing this with the Linux ACLs together with getfacl/setfacl. I would like to increasingly use the vfs module from now on, but then I can only set the ACLs from Windows, and I dislike the idea.