<chuckle>OK, I got this one figured. The reason this took so long for me to figure out is because there weren't any good scripts for adding users so I had to write and debug my own. I couldn't debug the other issues until I had good users. Anyway, it turns out my ACL's were not properly set up for ou=Computers yet and I did still have a few bugs in my scripts. So I fixed those and then changed two lines in /etc/ldap.conf:

#nss_base_passwd                ou=People,dc=microverse,dc=net?one
#nss_base_shadow                ou=People,dc=microverse,dc=net?one
nss_base_passwd         dc=microverse,dc=net?sub
nss_base_shadow         dc=microverse,dc=net?sub
...and now it works fine. :):):):):):)
I guess the real trouble is learning how to think 3 dimensionaly through a tree instead of thinking in SQL db tables.