On Sat, 2004-03-20 at 13:45, Mark wrote:
> > does anybody know usage of  parameter "time server = yes" ?
> > Exactly, how can I utilize this function on my Windows clients ?
>
> In my experience this parameter doesn't do anything.  The "net time" command
> in a login script works whether this is set or not.  And furthermore, win2k
> clients can't set their clocks using the w32time service whether this is set
> or not.  However, it is possible to set all of your clocks using w32time if
> you have an ntp server running on your network.  Here are some notes I wrote
> about this for our system admins:

Very nice.  I hope some of this can be picked up by our doco folks ;-)

The way I handle this is by system policy - we run a Samba domain, and I
have a number of NT4 system policies.   The NTP .adm file we use is
attached.

System polices are not a very easy business - but follow the pattern,
and you can handle almost anything.

Andrew Bartlett

--
Andrew Bartlett                                 [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Manager, Authentication Subsystems, Samba Team  [EMAIL PROTECTED]

CATEGORY !!Time
        POLICY !!NTPServer
        KEYNAME SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\W32Time\Parameters
                PART !!NTP_SERVER                       EDITTEXT
                        VALUENAME "NtpServer"
                END PART
                PART !!SERVERTYPE                       EDITTEXT
                        VALUENAME "type"
                END PART
        END POLICY
END CATEGORY    ; Time