Zach wrote:

We just experimented with this here at work.  As administrator we
manually deleted the profile of a user at replaced it with a manual
copy of another user's profile, and the problem was reproduced
exactly.  When we subsquently deleted NTUSER.DAT and logged in again,
NTUSER.DAT was rebuilt using the default profile and the profile
loaded properly.  Evidently the SID recorded in NTUSER.DAT has to
match the user's sid or it won't load properly.

Good news Zach. I'm off to the office to give it a go myself. Should give a preliminary response by noon PST.
Cheers,
TMS III

Now to find out how to repair/rebuild/migrate NTUSER.DAT without losing the user's sid without losing the customizations.

Although this has turned out to not really be a Samba problem, I'll
post what I find out since this seems to affect several users on the
list.

Thanks
Zach