On Dec 19, 2007 11:41 AM, Curtis Maloney <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> hce wrote:
> > Let me clarify it again.
> >
> > (a) The key point is that the linux device is too small to install a
> > large size of Samba. No question about it, if the linux device had an
> > samba, the window could mount the linux device.
> >
> > (b) The small linux device is a dumb device, it may be configured by a
> > wifi ip address, but the mount process need be start from window to
> > the linux device, not the vice versa.
> >
> > That was the original question, samba is too large to be installed to
> > a small linux device, I am looking to an alternative solution to have
> > a samba to be installed in a window machine, so the window can mount
> > to the linux device. But clearly, samba cannot be installed in window
> > system. If you have other solution, could you please explain more.
>
> Installing samba on the windows machine to give you access to the files of a
> remote machine just doesn't make sense.  It suggest a fundamental lack of
> understanding of what Samba is, and how the whole process works.
>
> However, your core issue is you want to transfer files between some server
> (which happens to be Windows) and some lightweight clients (which happen to be
> Linux).
>
> Again, without a clearer understanding of your real requirements (the WHAT,
> not
> the HOW) it's difficult to suggest a solution.
>
> We don't know _why_ you want to mount the file systems on the Linux devices.
> Is
> it so the server can update their config files?  Is it so they can pass data
> the server?  Is it for some other reason that would be better handled with a
> simple daemon, instead of a file system mount?

It is actually to mount a dumb linux device to a window file system,
just like to mount an usb stick to the window file system. Yes, if the
linux device (without samba on it) can be mounted by a window file
syste, then the window can config the linux device, modify data and
transfer data to it.

> You have not provided enough information about WHAT you want to do... only
> asked
> questions about one possibility of HOW to do it.

Please let me know if above explanation is still insufficient.

Thank you.

Kind regards,

Jim