Quoting from below:

So what do you get with this commoditized distribution and especially
kernel? You get hot kernel updates (which can be *very* useful to
avoid downtime when updating a live, mission critical host), and
guaranteed compatibility with Oracle software (which is not a fmall
thing for a big iron Oracle server handling thousands of transactions
a second).

End quote.

The above precisely addresses my query. I have been a long time user of VirtualBox after VMWare (originally from a Stanford group if memory serves) became a strictly for-profit commercial approach that only administrative (not academic research by Faculty) computing had sufficient budget to afford. I routinely run MS Windows (currently MS Win 7 pro) under VirtualBox on an EL workstation as a mechanism to use end-user applications that are not available under open systems without any necessity of dual-booting, etc. Because VirtualBox source and documentation are available, I also teach from it so that students have a better real-world understanding of a hypervisor and certain types of virtualization.

However, I have not used VirtualBox in a mission-critical server environment. If anyone else has experience with the Oracle pre-packaged VMs under VirtualBox in a distributed server environment, I would appreciate additional observations. On a reasonably well provisioned workstation, VirtualBox running MS Win 7 (and previous MS Wins) displays no real end user experience degradation (long load or execute times, crashes, etc.). However, a mission critical server can experience a very different workload than a workstation, and it is important to be able to predict significant end user service degradation due to the virtualization overhead -- particularly in real-world use (not simulations or highly controlled environments).

Yasha Karant