On 04/13/2011 08:11 AM, Stefano Canepa wrote:
Hi all,
        I'm new t Scientific Linux but not to Linux, I'm trying SL because I'm
looking for a RHEL 6 free distribution and at CentOS they are still
working.

I tried to install using SL-60-i386-2011-03-03-Everything-DVD1.iso
into a VirtualBox virtual machine. I verified the ISO using sha256sum
and also inside installer but it stops installing MAKEDEV claiming it is
corrupted on DVD. I tried to download the same image using a different
mirror (switch.ch) instead the main FTP site, and even a different PC
but the same happened.

I successfully installed using the Install DVD.

I mounted the two ISO in loopback and check the content MAKEDEV rpm is
present in the Everything DVD and not in the Install. I even don't
understand why MAKEDEV is needed as SL use udev to populate /dev, so
perhaps to disable the installation in Everything DVD would be the
correct solution.

Is this a known bug?

I can do some more test if needed.

Bye
Stefano

Hi Stefano,

Not to ask a too stupid question, but did you check your md5sums?

b37209879c0fb158fac25045527241ee  CentOS-5.6-x86_64-bin-DVD-1of2.iso
3eb277f8ca8d49cc8fcaf76d647169c4  CentOS-5.6-x86_64-bin-DVD-2of2.iso

Also, I find in Virtual Box, that mounting the ISO's as a DVD/CD device works
better than using a loop back device.  From the Console,

1st:  file, virtual media manager, attach your two iso's
2nd: go to the VM's icon, Settings, Storage, connect a IDE port to both ISO's

Also, Virtual Box is riddled with bugs.  Try posting on their forum and see
if anyone else is having the problem.

HTH,
-T

Stefano