On Wed, Apr 13, 2011 at 4:08 PM, Todd And Margo Chester
<toddandma...@gmail.com>  wrote:
On 04/13/2011 12:38 PM, Phil Schaffner wrote:
Can't say it is perfect, but "riddled with bugs" seems a bit exaggerated.
  My overall experiences with VB have been very positive.

Phil

Not "exaggerated".  Years of pain and experience.

Wait until you get your job threatened over it.  Fortunately, as a
consultant, they are not my only customer.  If loose them, I will
have to hustle and find someone else.  Still sucks though, especially
when you have worked for them for over ten years and you
have become friends with many of them.

-T

A collection of some of my "recent" bug reports.

http://www.virtualbox.org/ticket/7628
http://www.virtualbox.org/ticket/7643
http://www.virtualbox.org/ticket/7607
http://www.virtualbox.org/ticket/7948
http://www.virtualbox.org/ticket/7957
http://www.virtualbox.org/ticket/7772

And the one I almost got and still may get fired over:
http://www.virtualbox.org/ticket/8478
These all seem to be version 3.x of VirtualBox, and with Windows guest
operating systems. From your comments in them, it looks like you've
been using Windows Terminal Servers.
Yes it is Terminal Services (TS) most of the time. TS is a mess I would not wish
on anyone.

Windows is an unfortunate fact of my life.  The only
Linux customers I have are the ones I make myself.
I have to eat, so I have to work on Windows.  I wish
I had more Linux customers, but if I want to make a living, I have to
work on what my customer actually use.

I tried VB 4.0.x, but it was so much slower that 3.2.12 with my XP
guest that I ripped it back off and replaced it with 3.2.12.  I
will be trying KVM on a new server to see how it fares.

Do you have a support contract with Oracle? If not, for production
servers, I'm afraid you really need one.
You are correct about the need.  Unfortunately, Oracle does not offer
support contracts on Virtual Box.  You can not even purchase a single
incident.  Oracle's left hand does not know what their right hand is doing.
I have spent endless hour with Oracle on the phone trying to get help.
All I get it business psycobabble (they will "reach out to me").

Scientific Linux, and the
various Red Hat based distributions, have been rock stable under
VirtualBox for me for the last year. I'm quite pleased with it. The
only reason I'd use VMWare is for LabManager or to virtualize SCO
OpenServer (which I've had to do).

I run Virtual Box under CentOS 5.5 hosts.  Mostly x64 bit.
I still avoid KVM where feasible, even under Red Hat or Scientific
Linux 6.0. I still find the necessary "bridge" network manual
configuraiton to be nutty for a production server, and the libvirt
tools to be a poorly planned nad implemented attempt to merge distinct
and incompatible virtualizaiton tools into a single interface. Give me
the clean VirtualBox interface any day.

I have heard that VB's interface is better.  I have also heard that Red Hat
is cleaning up theirs. I will see. VB use to use the same "bridge" networking.
I do believe I kept a copy of it around somewhere.  It would be nice if
KVM handled bridge networking automatically the way VB does.

I will suffer a difficult interface for fewer bugs in operation.

-T