Life with my dad was cool in that small town.  Unless there was some kind of
controversy that involved money and politics (fortunately, few and far
between).  Then, ain't no one happy...

I do remember (when he was mayor) a few rocks through the window (and stupid
over the phone death threats easily traced and dealt with) over things that
seem pretty trivial now, but mostly it was interesting and educational.  I
think he set a pretty high bar for me and my brothers.  In addition to his
volunteer efforts with the fire dept, rescue squad, scouting, etc. and his
almost free work on the village government (paid about $6 for meeting
attendance, but nothing for serving on the board/as mayor) he worked
full-time at Caterpillar for 30+ years.

I am proud of his work on the volunteer fire department most of all.  I know
for a fact that several people are still breathing as a result of his work
in establishing a rescue squad from scratch (raising funds for equipment,
vehicles, EMT/ERT training for firefighters and rescue squad volunteers, CPR
training of local residents, etc.)  Prior to that, residents depended on a
private (and expensive) firm in a neighboring city to provide their rescue
service.  The short 7 mile drive from Morton to Deer Creek doesn't seem so
short when someone is having a heart attack or bleeding to death.

He has since retired from Cat and works part-time as an EMT/ERT.  If I'm
able to make even half the contribution he's made to the community, that
will really be something.

James Landrith
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
cell: 703-593-2065 * fax: 760-875-8547