 From: scifinoir2@yahoogroups.com [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
 Behalf Of [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 Sent: Tuesday, July 10, 2007 11:54 PM
 To: scifinoir2@yahoogroups.com
 Subject: [scifinoir2] Dark Side of Soy

 http://www.alternet.org/healthwellness/56087/

 As someone conscious of her health, I spent 13 years cultivating a
 vegetarian diet. I took time to plan and balance meals that included
 products such as soymilk, soy yogurt, tofu, and Chick'n patties. I pored
 over labels looking for words I couldn't pronounce. Occasionally an
 ingredient or two would pop up among my fake sausages. Soy protein isolate?
 Great! They've isolated the protein from the soybean to make it more
 concentrated in my veggie dogs. Hydrolyzed soy protein? I never successfully
 rationalized that one, but I wasn't too worried. After all, in 1999, the FDA
 approved labeling found on nearly every soy product I purchased: "Diets low
 in saturated fat and cholesterol that include 25 grams of soy protein a day
 may reduce the risk of heart disease." Soy ingredients are not only safe --
 they're beneficial.
 After several years of consuming various forms of soy nearly every day,
 something wasn't right. I felt reasonably fit, but somewhere along the line
 I'd stopped menstruating. I couldn't figure out why my stomach became so
 upset after eating edamame or why I was often moody and bloated. It didn't
 occur to me at the time to blame soy, heart-protector and miracle food.
 When I began studying holistic health and nutrition, I kept running across
 risks associated with eating soy. Endocrine disruption? Check. Digestive
 problems? Check. I researched soy's deleterious effects on thyroid,
 fertility, hormones, sex drive, digestion, and even its potential to
 contribute to certain cancers. For every study that proved there was a
 connection between soy and reduced disease risk, others cropped up to
 challenge these claims. What was going on?
 "Studies showing the dark side of soy date back 100 years," says Kaayla
 Daniel, PhD, clinical nutritionist and author of The Whole Soy Story: The
 Dark Side of America's Favorite Health Food.Ê "The 1999 FDA-approved health
 claim pleased big business, despite massive evidence showing risks
 associated with soy, and against the protests of the FDA's own top
 scientists. Soy is a global four-billion-dollar industry that's taken these
 health claims to the bank." Besides heart health, the industry says that soy
 consumption can alleviate symptoms associated with menopause, reduce the
 risk of certain cancers, and lower levels of LDL, the "bad" cholesterol.
 Epidemiological studies have shown that Asians, particularly in Japan and
 China, have a much lower incidence of breast and prostate cancer than in the
 US, and many of these studies trace the results back to a traditional diet
 that includes soy. Daniel says a common misconception is that Asians are
 consuming more soy than they actually are; soy accounts for only about 15
 percent of their total calories, or nine grams per day. Asian diets include
 small amounts of primarily fermented soy products, such as miso, natto, and
 tempeh, and some tofu. By contrast, in the US, processed soy food snacks or
 shakes can contain over 20 grams of soy protein in one serving.
 "There is important information on the cancer protective values of soy,"
 says Ed Bauman, PhD, clinical nutritionist, head of the Bauman Clinic in
 Sebastopol and director of Bauman College of Holistic Nutrition, who
 cautions against painting the bean with a broad brush. "As with any food, it
 can have benefits in one system and detriments in another. If there is an
 individual sensitivity, one may have an adverse response to soy. And not all
 soy is alike," he adds, referring to processing methods and quality.
 Soy is indigenous to Eastern Asia, where it was once considered toxic and
 used only as a cover crop. It was eventually fermented for better
 digestibility; it had long been known that soy caused extreme digestive
 distress if consumed raw or undercooked. Fermenting soy deactivates these
 harmful constituents and creates health-promoting probiotics, the good
 bacteria our bodies need to maintain digestive and overall wellness. Daniels
 mentions that Asian populations may have had success with soy because they
 are consuming primarily the fermented forms.
 As soy moved west, it became a new addition to the diets of Europeans and
 Americans. "Soy is not a native food to North America or Europe, and I think
 you have issues when you move food from one part of the world to another,"
 Bauman says. "We fare better when we eat according to our ethnicity. I think
 soy is a viable food, but we need to look at how it's used and maybe
 consider using other food stock that's more indigenous."

"There is no reason Good can't triumph over Evil, if only angels will get
organized along the lines of the Mafia." -Kurt Vonnegut, "A Man Without A
Country"