Any "Blue Velvet" fans on the list?  Jeffrey, the protagonist of the
movie, finds a severed ear at the beginning of the movie.  That
severed ear represents the "seething underbelly of suburbia."

The ear is what leads Jeffrey into danger. Indeed, just as Jeffrey's
troubles begin, the audience is treated to a nightmarish sequence in
which the camera zooms into the ear canal of the severed, decomposing
ear. Notably, the camera does not reemerge from the ear canal until
the end of the film. When Jeffrey finally comes through his hellish
ordeal unscathed, the ear canal shot is replayed, only in reverse,
zooming out through Jeffrey's own ear as he relaxes in his yard on a
summer day.

~rave!

--- In scifinoir2@yahoogroups.com, "Tracey de Morsella (formerly
Tracey L. Minor)" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Yeah-- distillation ---thats it.
>
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> >
> > I know it's accurate, just seems to be more the distillation of
the
> > times, not the full thing. But i see your point, and *great* idea
> > about pairing with the Dick van Dyke show. What a trip of a n
evening
> > of TV watcing that'd make!

> > From: "ravenadal" <[EMAIL PROTECTED] <mailto:ravenadal%40yahoo.com>>
> > I agree with everything Keith said EXCEPT I think "Mad Men" is
dead
> > nuts on in depicting the dark under belly of post fifties America.
> > Showing us "what was REALLY going on," if you will. It's sort of
like
> > post millenium America where pious righteous demogogues get busted
> > soliciting in airport bathrooms.
> >
> > A great companion piece to MM is "The Dick Van Dyke Show." Rob and
> > Laura's idylic life in New Rochelle is the true stylized fever
dream
> > (remember the famous "walnut" episode), where Jewish gag writer
Carl
> > Reiner's avatar is Dick Van Dyke.
> >
> > ~rave!
> >
> > --- In scifinoir2@yahoogroups.com
> > <mailto:scifinoir2%40yahoogroups.com>, KeithBJohnson@ wrote:
> > >
> > > i watch it, but find it to be strange. "Dark", indeed, it's
almost
> > like some kind of funhouse mirror of the time, showing all the
warped
> > and borderline perverted aspects of the time. Can't quite put my
> > finger on it, but it makes me uncomfortable. There's palpable
menace
> > in every show, even when the people are joking. It's as if any
second
> > you expect one of the men (and this is about men) to do something
> > brutal. They can be extremely callous towards and dismissive of
women,
> > most of whom are just objects to be used for work or play, then
> > discarded. Of course the only blacks I've seen are elevator
operators
> > and janitors. Many of the men speak in slow, stilted speech,
almost
> > mumbling, like they're angry or guarded.
> > >
> > > It's almost like a stylized dream (nightmarish) version of the
time.
> > The look is dead on, but almost too much so, if that makes sense.
The
> > colors feel too vibrant, the suits and hairstyles too perfect, the
> > sets too dead on, as if someone took all the obvious visual
aspects of
> > the time and put them on screen. It almost feels like a Julie
Taymor