I'm not really that into the show. I've tried it twice, and just can't sink my
brain into it. I'm considering passing on it for awhile, them cycling back to
it on On Demand.

"Tracey de Morsella (formerly Tracey L. Minor)" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote: So
Guys.  It sounds like you have watched it as much as me.  Do you like
it or not? will you keep coming back or is it too disturbing?  I ask,
because I feel like I have a morbid fascination for the  show and I find
myself looking forward to it.  After each viewing, I have to shake off
the feeling.  I used to say I was  going to stop viewing it.  But I kept
coming back.  I've accepted that at least for now, I will be tuning in
scratching my head.   However, I can see the possibility of sometime
feeling n overload

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> For me, it's that wife having to put up with her husband's boss'
> advances, and her husband having to do same (though he kinda sorta got
> back at him)...the weird looking guy in the office making love to the
> naive secretary on his couch, then treating her with contempt borne of
> jealousy at a party...the way the star has run from his past (even
> changed his name) and told his desperate-to-be-family half-brother
> "don't ever come back"...the way that salad-eating lady gives that
> young boy a lock of her hair after knowing he'd spied on her in the
> shower--like i said, it's just a little on the sinister side for me.

> From: "ravenadal" >
> Interestingly, the things in Mad Men that fascinate and appall me the
> most are the simple everyday things - like pregnant women smoking and
> drinking, children being unretrained while bouncing around inside
> cars, people being allowed to drive after obviously imbibing way too
> much alcohol, the ad guy bringing the boss home unexpectantly and the
> wife having to eat a salad (while pretend to be on a diet) while the
> men eat steak. Stuff like that.
>
> ~(no)rave!
>
> --- In scifinoir2@yahoogroups.com
> , "Tracey de Morsella (formerly
> Tracey L. Minor)"  wrote:
> >
> > I totally agree. It is a well-written, well produced and performed
> > show, but the world projected to the viewers is like some dark ugly
> > caricature of the worse parts of the sixties. The portrayal of
> Blacks
> > does not bother me as much because, in advertising-- even now there
> are
> > very few blacks despite the crack down by the federal government in
> 1978
> > and last year by the New York attorney general. . I do not think
> our
> > world and their world overlapped much accept for as
> cleaning /janitorial
> > staff. I would have had simmer anger boiling underneath if I had
> to be
> > the invisible underlings of these nasty pricks.
> >
> > A major problem, is there is no protagonist in the traditional
> sense to
> > root for. The protagonists of the story are cynical, jaded,
> > self-centered and egotistical. Right now the only characters that
> are
> > appealing are the divorcee and the jewish female department store
> > owner. Neither are major characters. The secretary might be
> appealing,
> > but her sexual behavior initially toward her boss and then the guy
> who
> > used to play Vincent on angel is strange. Viewers may not always
> agree
> > with the actions and motivations of characters, but it is the job
> of the
> > writers to help us understand them. I do not think the writers did
> that
> [...]

"There is no reason Good can't triumph over Evil, if only angels will get
organized along the lines of the Mafia." -Kurt Vonnegut, "A Man Without A
Country"