amen, which is why i recommended the chapter search. Such a disappointment...

From: "B. Smith" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Too bad there was nearly two hours of mediocre that surrounded the
good stuff.

--- In scifinoir2@yahoogroups.com, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> if you can do the chapter search, just look for a few key scenes:
>
> * superman saving the plane from crashing--nice FX, the most talked
about in the movie, but not my fav

> * superman saving the crowd in Metropolis during the earthquake
--there's an amazing moment when debris falls from buildings,
threatening the crowd below. Superman is flying away from the scene,
sees the danger, and, while still flying in the same direction, flips
over (doin an aerial backstroke of sorts) and pulverizes the debris
with his heat vision. The aerial move is really quite lovely, the
kind of thing you rarely see superheroes do. Usually they just fly in
a simple direction. It's a special scene that i equate to those rare
moments in space films when a spaceship actually manuevers in the
third dimension, instead of the strange convention of always operating
in two dimensions as they usally do.

> * Lex stabbing Superman -- the comedic Lex Luthor pisses me off, the
evil, sinister one is great. When Stacey drove that Kryptonite
splinth into Supe's side, leering with triumph and malice i literally
shouted "yeah! That's the Luthor I want to see!" A powerful dark
moment that shows what this movie could--should--have been

> * Superman powering up -- still suffering from Green K poisoning,
Clark flies into the upper atmosphere to expose himself to direct
sunligh. he hovers there for a moment in tragic glory, absording the
lifeblood of Sol before going back to do the impossible (see below).
It's a majestic moment, him above the clouds, bathing in that light. I
remembering whispering "wow, they get it" at that simple scene.

> * Superman lifting the new island into the sky -- okay, I'm also
*not* a fan of the godlike Superman of he movies, the one with powers
that allow him to move whole planets. But, this scene of him lifting
an entire piece of land--while green K keeps "growing" from it,
killing him--is, well, soaring.

> * Falling from the sky --after taxing himself by lifting the island,
Clark blacks out and falls thousands of feet to Earth. Again, another
majestic, powerful scene, showing that Singer gets it, able to merge
action, FX, music, drama, and the magic of comics into one scene.

> All of the above are the essence of Superman, from the soaring
majesty of demigod to the gee-whiz of just having powers, to the
solemnity of having all that power yet feeling so alone. But outside
of that? One long, boring series of Lex cracking wise, Lana with the
puppy dog eyes, and just generally insipid plotting.

> From: Martin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> I can get behind that. I've got the movie right now, one of those
slightly-illicit versions. Think I watched about ten minutes of it
before turning it off. Admittedly, I'm not a fan of Big Blue, and
never have been (all of Chris Reeve's exploits, I saw though video),
but the movie, to me, was supremely unengaging.

> Daryle <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> So we can just all pretend that "Superman Returns" never happened, then.
>
> On 1/4/08 2:35 AM, "Tracey de Morsella (formerly Tracey L. Minor)"
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > Singer Won't Do Next Superman?
> > http://www.scifi.com/scifiwire/index.php?category=0&id=46890
> > Variety columnist Anne Thompson reported that it is "highly unlikely"
> > that Superman Returns helmer Bryan Singer will return to shoot the
next
> > Superman movie.
> >
> > Singer is finishing up Tom Cruise's Nazi film Valkyrie and
prepping The
> > Mayor of Castro Street.
> >
> > "The next Superman we will see on the big screen will not be [Superman
> > Returns star] Brandon Routh, but a younger Superman among a cast of
> > youthful superheroes in ... Justice League," Thompson wrote. "That
movie
> > will likely not be shot, however, until after the [writers'] strike is
> > resolved."
> >
> > Thompson also reported details of the upcoming The Dark Knight,
> > Christopher Nolan's sequel to his Batman Begins. Warner Brothers is
> > hoping Nolan returns for a third installment, Thompson wrote.
> >

> > Yahoo! Groups Links
> >

> "There is no reason Good can't triumph over Evil, if only angels
will get organized along the lines of the Mafia." -Kurt Vonnegut, "A
Man Without A Country"