There was a big discussion about this when the movie was released.
Someone connected to the film talked about Superman being being a god
or Christlike figure in the movie.

I think a few shots like the charge up above the clouds, his
struggles when he was getting rid of the kryptonian landmass and the
aftermath could definitely give that impression.

--- In scifinoir2@yahoogroups.com, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> how's that?

> From: "B. Smith" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> The whole Superman as Christ figure was a big turn off for me as
well.

> --- In scifinoir2@yahoogroups.com, "Tracey de Morsella (formerly
> Tracey L. Minor)" <tdlists@> wrote:
> >
> > It barely registered for me. The writing was lackluster, the plot
> > uninspired. miscasting of the two leads. Reintroducing the
franchise
> > with too much focus on romance. I barely remember it. My husband
fell
> > asleep watching it.
> >
> > KeithBJohnson@ wrote:
> > > Yeah, Routh was a bit "mild" as both Supes and Clark. Not sure
if
> it's the writing, or his character. I do know the way Singer wrote
the
> characters didn't help. he made Superman so pensive and pining for
> Lois. It's as if you took all the sometimes irritating "I love Lana
> but can never be with her" puppy dog sadness of clark
on "Smallville"
> and concentrated into Routh in the movie. gag!
> > >
> > > what about he movie most annoyed you?

> > > From: "Tracey de Morsella (formerly Tracey L. Minor)"
<tdlists@>
> > > I really wanted to like it too. I was sooooo underwhelmed.
> > > Particularly by their choice for Superman. Nothing against
Brandon
> > > Routh, but he just does not register. He's got no charisma or
star
> > > power. If the title character puts you to sleep, the movie is
doomed
> > > You said it all Keith. and Darryl you are right. It is best if
we
> just
> > > all pretend that "Superman Returns" never happened, then.

> love this movie. The trailers had me excited ( i even posted here
> about them). But it was bogged down in a soggy love story, a
> completely unengaging and unimpressive Lois Lane, not enough good
> action. Another big thing is they need to jettison the comedic Lex
> Luthor, which i hate. One minute he's a deadly menace, the next he's
> doing standup. Luthor is evil, make him so and drop the jokes.
Spacey
> was effective when he was bad, like stabbing supes with the Green K.
> But when he was acting goofy i just groaned. And finally, i *hate*
the
> nerdy Clark Kent. I was never a fan of the stumbling nerd Clark,
which
> is too much caricature for me. Much prefer the way he was back in
the
> original comics, after John Byrne's reboot, or on "Smallville": a
> regular guy who some might think at first is a bit too mild, but
> capable of amazing acts. I think Clark as a strong person in his own
> right makes the character much more interesti

Minor)"

> unlikely"
> the next

> prepping The