separate work.

From: Martin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Personally, I would've given it to Smith at first, because he's much more in
tune with the comics world (owns a comic shop in NYC) than Singer. Sure, some
may say, "Look at what he did with X-Men." That's exactly why I say that Smith
should have it.

Daryle <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote: This was on HBO yesterday and it was the
first time I¹d seen it completely
since I saw it in the theater. It is clear to me now that Singer took
himself entirely too seriously on this picture, and that he has put HIMSELF
in this picture. It also clear to me that Kevin Smith write the best
script for this picture and was ignored, and it is equally clear to me
that handing X3 to Brett Ratner was probably the best idea of them all. I
am very interested to see this new picture Bryan is doing with Tom Cruise,
because I have this feeling like we¹ve seen Singer¹s best work in ³The
Usual Suspects². I have this really strange feeling that if we go back into
Bryan Singer¹s past we¹re going to find a girl back in high school that
looked exactly like the woman cast as Lois Lane. The best actor in all of
the Daily Planet scenes is the guy who played Jimmy Olsen. Looking at
Superman Returns after 6 or so months I feel like I¹ve just watched two
movies: The one Kevin Spacey is in, and the one Bryan Sing‹ I mean Brandon
Routh is in. Because there¹s a really GREAT movie in this. One with a
really dark and brutal Lex Luthor with a textbook sinister plan. And then
there¹s all this sap about ³The Father becomes the son². Warner could never
do this, but they should really go back to Kevin Smith and give him a
shot at the next Superman movie.

On 1/7/08 11:33 AM, "[EMAIL PROTECTED]" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> yeah, and that wouldn't bother me too much if the rest of the movie didn't
> suck. The moments of majesty were really good. I even liked the one where he's
> hovering above Earth, eyes closed, listening to chatter all over the world,
> then speeding down to handle a crisis. That definitely heightened the
> impression of a godlike being, a guardian angel. It emphasized that Superman
> is an "alien", in many ways alone and separate from the people he protects.
> And *that* would have been okay if the rest of the movie didn't suck. I get
> what Singer was trying to do: deal with the literal alienation this super
> alien feels from the mortals who love and need him, but who don't really
> understand him. He has powers beyond our ken, and he's loved, but that doesn't
> mean he's not also burdened by his duties to humanity. Look at how he was
> criticized for having left Earth for several years. Ungrateful mortal
> wretches who love/hate their protector god.
>
> I get that Clark and Lois and Jimmy and the rest are his anchors to the human
> world. And, frankly, once you brought up this Christ like thing, I get more
> than ever that was what Singer was trying to do. It was just presented in such
> a syurpy, heavy-handed, uneven way that it feel flat. As Tracey said, it was
> sleep inducing.
>
> There have long been two ways to handle Superman: as Clark Kent, the man who
> happens to possess the power of a god, and who wears Superman as a mask; or as
> Kal-El, the alien who feels apart from humanity, and who wears the mask of the
> being called Clark Kent. I've long favored the first approach, as I like Clark
> as a confident man who must figure out how to be super. The movies use the
> second approach, the god who hides behind a mask of humanity from time to
> time. The second approach can work--if the movie doesn't suck. Unfortunately
> "Superman Returns" did.

> From: "B. Smith" <[EMAIL PROTECTED] <mailto:daikaiju66%40yahoo.com> >
> There was a big discussion about this when the movie was released.
> Someone connected to the film talked about Superman being being a god
> or Christlike figure in the movie.
>
> I think a few shots like the charge up above the clouds, his
> struggles when he was getting rid of the kryptonian landmass and the
> aftermath could definitely give that impression.
>
> --- In scifinoir2@yahoogroups.com <mailto:scifinoir2%40yahoogroups.com> ,
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>> >
>> > how's that?

"There is no reason Good can't triumph over Evil, if only angels will get
organized along the lines of the Mafia." -Kurt Vonnegut, "A Man Without A
Country"

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: