Mary J. Blige is 37 years old.  At that age she is more fit and
sculptured than she was in her twenties.  Her arms are tight and
toned, with no sign of "chicken wing" flab.  She has dramatically
remade herself.  More importantly, steroids have allowed her to
remain in the pop arena with twenty-somethings like Keyshia Cole and
Rhianna.

To your other points, I think it is noteworthy that steroids, which
used to be the purview of extreme bodybuilders, has funneled down to
massive football players to sleek track stars to marginal baseball
players and now to entertainers.

Where does it stop?

~(no)rave!

--- In scifinoir2@yahoogroups.com, Daryle <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Apologies in advance for what will be a long response. I promise to
be
> serious about this. Well,  sorta.
>
> I guess my problem with this is that the steroids didn¹t DO
anything for
> her. There WAS no advantage. It  doesn¹t even make sense that Mary
took
> them at  all, if she did. What kid is reading this story and
thinking  ³I
> want to  ____ like Mary J. Blige, therefore I should take
steroids²? There
> was no sudden rise in girls shaving their heads because Britney
Spears did
> it. No sudden rise in responsible young fatherhood as a result of K-
Fed¹s
> custody case. If there was some advantage Mary was getting by
taking the
> steroids, there would be a case here.  But these are just bad
choices by
> people who already had an advantage. They  are famous. Based on the
stories
> going around, they  all allegedly took the substances after they
became
> rich.
>
> People believe that to be a star you have to wear certain clothes,
certain
> sunglasses, hire certain producers, and copy certain people¹s
performances.
> Buy the same car as them. And this is based on the examples given
by most of
> the performers named in this story. People do not see being a
performer as a
> physical undertaking. They think you just get on stage and
magically have
> the stamina for a 3 hour show. It¹s always been that way.  Again,
if this
> story was about Elvis taking steroids, the world would be shook.
But it¹s a
> list of nobodies who have taken advantage of a period in pop
culture when
> nothing was actually happening in order to be famous. Labels needed
> something to sell, and these people were available.  Such is the
case with
> pop music.
>
> Pop music brands are not role models. Parents are. Teachers are.
When those
> two roles are absent, the kids go to the next available role
model...and it
> is NOT the music artist. I marketed music acts for many years, and
I have
> seen kids dress like their favorite singer, and use slang like their
> favorite rapper. I have never seen a child mimic the self
destructive
> actions of a performer. In every single case where an artist I
represented
> was accused, it was discovered that there were more regular folks
in that
> kid¹s immediate circle who were self destructive than even the
ARTIST was.
> The self destructive behavior comes from other regular folks in the
Œhood.
> Or the Œburbs. Or the cul-de-sac. Or in the kitchen every morning.
Kids
> aren¹t carrying guns to school because some rapper told them to.
They are
> carrying guns to school because they either believe that they need
one,  or
> because they don¹t feel worthy as an individual  to  stand out on
their own
> merit. Their own intelligence. Their own unique talent. It¹s not
BET¹s fault
> that girls under 12 are watching music videos that are soft porn.
It is the
> fault of a society too afraid to exercise the democracy they keep
going on
> about and blocking the channel. It is the fault of the parents who
are
> watching BET themselves. The mother who is allowing her kids to be
raised on
> BET when you can get  Discovery Channel and National Geographic in
the same
> cable tier. Kids do what WE do. When WE¹re out here trying to be 50
Cent,
> then yeah, there¹s a problem. Our kids are going to be off. But
it¹s because
> they¹re trying to be US.
>
> If my daughter started using steroids because of Mary J. Blige, it
would
> mean two things. 1. That my backhand was no longer effective, and
2. That my
> PRESENCE and influence was ineffective. Both of these are things
that I
> would need to address.
>

> On 1/17/08 11:46 AM, "ravenadal" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>

> > Why should we care that Mary J. Blige has taken steroids?  We
should
> > do it for the kids!  The kids who will think it is okay to take
> > steroids to gain an advantage while not being fully cognizant of
the
> > significant health consequences misuse of steroids can cause.  The
> > football player Lyle Alzado and more professional wrestlers than I
> > care to name have succumbed to premature death due to steroid
abuse.

> > ~rave!
> >
> > --- In scifinoir2@yahoogroups.com <mailto:scifinoir2%
40yahoogroups.com> ,