You can do a lot yourself by hitting the local library.  They probably
have the census records back to 1870.  Land records are also stored
there.  I took a non-credit class at my local university and you might
find that your library or university has the same.   My teacher was a
professional genealogist, so that is always a possibility, but Gates did
not got far past the slavery.  You can get that far by going to the
library or talking to your elders.

My brother-in-law had his dna analysis done for a general work-up of his
African and European background.  (Although, it turns out that there was
Asian in there also.)

DNA analysis
http://www.ancestrybydna.com/welcome/home/index.php

Select "Order Now"  shown on the left hand side of the website and it
will direct you how to fill in the request.

--- In scifinoir2@yahoogroups.com, "Mike Street" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>