I like the series a lot. My wife and I watch it regularly on TV, not
via the web. New Amsterdam is far more interesting than both Lost and
Heroes.

George
http://ivebeenmugged.typepad.com

--- In scifinoir2@yahoogroups.com, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Anyone catch the series premiere tonight? I wasn't really that
impressed. The lead actor --who looks like some hyrid of Aaron
Eckhart and Dennis Leary--didn't make that much of an impression on
me. I guess he's got that brooding, soul-weary thing all immortals
have, but it wasn't pulled off that well. I didn't get the angst or
sometimes melancholy that say, Duncan McLeod or Angel conveyed in
their characters. Also, unlike those two immortals, I didn't feel
that the immortality angle was mixed in very well with the plot of
the show. It really came off as two disparate stories meshed
together: a spare tale of a dude who's lived for centuries and sees
life in ways we don't, and a fairly standard procedural cop show.
Neither half was scintillating, and the two together weren't that
special either. "Highlander" in its first season was mythic and
magical. "Angel" was exciting and thrilling. "New Amsterdam" was just
kinda there. Anyone remember that short-lived show "Blind justice",
about
>  the blind cop? For some reason it reminded me of that. The cop is
supposed to be brilliant and quirky, kinda nuts at time, gruff,
unlikeable. He's timed with a young lady cop who refuses to let him
cow her. Sound familiar? Sounds like a ripoff of "Life", with
immortality replacing incarceration as the cause for the star's
strangeness. But it wasn't as catchy as that show either.

> And I have to say, i outright laughed and groaned at the genesis of
his immortality: a reward from Natives for him risking his life to
stop a fellow soldier from killing Native women. One, the Natives
were so cliched and stereotyped they made me groan. The magic
ceremony (complete with mystic smoke),that typical movie Native music
with pipes--brother. And I always get irritated at plots where native
peoples have this incredibly powerful magic, but instead of using it
on one of their own, grant it to some repentent European dude. The
lady who gave him his immortality gives some dopey speech about him
never dying until he meets his "one true love", and breathes some
magic smoke on him. She was about as cliched as the lady back in the
day who did the adver for Mazola Oil ("you call it 'corn', we call
it 'maize'").  And given what was going on, she might as well have
said, "Even though you came as part of a raiding party and meant to
kill our men, you are a man of honor for not killing
>  our women. so we'll put our best mojo on you, cool European guy,
instead of wasting it on one of our noble warriors". That really made
me groan.

> I've been wrong before about shows, and one ep doesn't always tell
the story. So I'll give it three or four eps and see what happens.