The more I hear the more this sounds like an AU fan fiction brought
to life. I'm just waiting to see if its going to be good
fan fiction or not.

Meta

--- In scifinoir2@yahoogroups.com, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Agreed. The parts of the ship were constructed in San Fran, so Iowa
makes no sense. if you're going to go that route, the desert would
then be the most logical place to build starships. I could see
shipyards in arid New Mexico or Arizona.
> Yeah, we'll  have to see if Abrams' reboot gets the feel right. I'm
curious about this rewritten backstory as well, and still can't figure
how the crew from the series is brought together at such a young age.
It's just illogical.
> Wasn't Sulu head of astrophysics at that time?

> From: Daryle Lockhart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Another HUGE problem with assembling the Enterprise on Earth is that
not only is it on Earth...It's in IOWA. How convenient.

> One discussion I had with another guy who runs a movie trailer site
is that TOS people are going to have to swallow a really big pill with
this story. If you've seen "The Cage" and "Where No Man Has Gone
Before", you know that Spock and Kirk really have no history. Spock
was loyal to Pike for many years, and Kirk's best friend was his
helmsman when he took over the ship. Sulu was "Chief Mathematician" or
some position like that. These details are important, and are
basically being ignored.

> On Nov 23, 2008, at 10:55 AM, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>

> We had a long discussion in the last few weeks about a bunch of
still shots from the movie, but I don't know that anyone was aware of
these new trailers. I certainly wasn't.

> I just watched them and they look great, but i have some questions.
JJ Abrams is an amazing action director, and I know the movie will
rock in terms of FX, action, and overall look. I just hope that the
more solid background of what makes Trek "Trek" is maintained. That is
to say, for me, Star Trek has actually never been about the ships, the
battles, the gadgets, the special effects. Those are icing to the cake
of the people and the purpose of the franchise, which was to explore
where humanity might go in the future, and how we'll bring our better
selves to a whole new galaxy of discovery. I'm the guy who loves "The
Search for Spock" because of its deep exploration of the bonds that
made the NCC-1701 crew great (while most think it's a boring flick,
preferring the action of "The Wrath of Khan", or the humour of "The
Voyage Home"). I remember the conversations and emotional reveals as
much as I do the Neck Pinches, Doomsday Machines, and Klingon Battle
Cruise rs. I find the early s
> hows of the first season of the OS, with their heavy dramatic and
emotional content, to be the core of what made Trek work, moreso than
later shows with more fights and explosions. Trek to me is "To go
where no one has gone before", but it is equally "Because the needs of
the *one* outweigh the needs of the many".

> So while I know the film will be quite enjoyable, I'm curious--not
doubtful, 'cause many Trek insiders have "vetted" it--but curious as
to how much of that emotional heart of Trek Abrams can convey,
especially in this odd Early Years take when the crew haven't yet
worked together to form those bonds. And I wonder how he'll go from
this film to any possible sequels? Will we then jump to the mainstream
time of the series, with Kirk in the command chair, Spock as XO, and
the rest? If so, then maybe we look at this reboot like the Trek
movies 2, 3, and 4, which conveyed, respectively, action, emotion, and
humour. In that case, maybe the later films will explore and grow the
emotional depth that is Trek. Don't know.

> One final comment. I note that the Enterprise is being built on
Earth in the new flick, but the original canon says it was assembled
in space. I know Abrams didn't want to do that for some reason, saying
they use anti-grav to build it on Earth. Still makes more sense to me
to assemble a space ship--in space! And is it me, or does the sight of
guys using blowtorches or arc welders in the 23rd century just
seem--odd? Surely there'd be more sophisticated ways of assembling
vessels than something straight out of a 20th century shipyard, a way
to make the metal flow and meld together more seamlessly and
efficiently than with sparks flying all over the place? I'd hate to
see a warp capable vessel lose a battle or something because some
disgruntled union guy didn't use enough solder on a weld in a Jeffries
Tube or something!