Thank you, that's my point, but you made it better. Rave--whom I respect
tremendously--seems to feel we should just read the facts of the report, but
not comment or critique what those facts mean and portend, or how we feel about
them. In that case it's just a throwaway news article that should be ignored.
It'd be like reading news articles the last eight years that said "Most
Americans support Bush and his policies", then saying "Meh", and accepting it,
instead of commenting and working to change things by opening peoples' eyes.
(Okay, a bit of a stretch in that comparison, but I just spent all morning with
the political talk shows!)

You summed up my feelings better: it's great Smith does well, I like and
respect him, but it scares me if he's the only actor seen as viable. And I'm
sorry: I do think there's a great deal of laziness in culture where
everyone--the purveyors of entertainment as well as the partakers of it--just
stays with the same old same old.

A big thing my wife has said for years is that she tires of seeing the same old
faces in movies, even great actors. After a while, no matter how good that
person is, she can't shake the knowledge that "I'm watching so-and-so do a
great job". It's one reason we love small, indie, or foreign films with
lesser-known or completely unknown actors. It's why I'm excited to see the
buzzed-about French film "The Class": I have no clue who one single person in
the flick is. It's why I remember "Mongul" so fondly: I didn't know a single
actor in the movie, was able to lose myself. It's why movies like "The
Visitor", "Frozen River", and "Waitress" stay with me long after I've forgotten
the overhyped and overblown flicks like "Hancock" and "I Am Legend". They are
solid acting efforts with men and women who are equal to--if not better
than--the so-called A-listers. It also means that we get to see nuances of
acting that simply can't be provided by Smith, Jolie, Pitt, Washington, etc.,
all the time