Wow, all this debate over an article focusing on Will Smith. Maybe I need to
re-evaluate my assessment: maybe he *is* as influential as all that!

----- Original Message -----
From: "ravenadal" <ravena...@yahoo.com>
To: scifinoir2@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Sunday, February 15, 2009 1:56:59 PM GMT -05:00 US/Canada Eastern
Subject: [scifinoir2] Re: Will Smith -- The Only Sure Thing At The Box Office

Let me say this about that...the Grammy for best artist and best
single ARE "ghetto" categories when you are the best selling artist of
the year. My position is that Lil Wayne should have had traction in
the "Song of the Year" or the "Album of the Year" category and that
T.I. should have swept the Rap category.

To be "ghettoized" is to be relegated to one category and not to be
allowed to transcend that category.

~rave!

--- In scifinoir2@yahoogroups.com , Daryle Lockhart <dar...@...> wrote:

> Rap grammy is not a ghetto category. It is an acknowledgment of hip-
> hop's main musical outlet as a stand alone art form. Before the Rap
> category All Black artists who weren't doing jazz were competing
> in the same category. The Grammies still have a way to go, as there
> aren't a lot of DJ's who vote and so you don't have any categories
> for musical genres that have really pushed the creative
> boundaries, like drum n bass or progressive electronic. There
have
> been more progressions made in so called "Dance music" than in any
> thing pop's done since the 70s.
>
> But anyway, about Will Smith and this Forbes chart. When you read
> the original Forbes piece, you see what factors went into giving him
> the perfect 10. It's not just filling seats. It's many factors. Will
> Smith is a brand like Cary Grant, Clark Gable, or Elvis.
>
> This is actually really scary news for the business, mainly because
> Will Smith is signed exclusively to Sony. If there's only one actor
> in the world who can consistently get a picture made and sell
through
> to home video/downloads, it's probably time to revamp the system
> before we have another Tom Cruise on our hands. Nothing against Will
> Smith, I'm personally proud of a former rapper being the biggest
> movie star in the world, but this is one of the reasons I'd like to
> see Robert Downey Jr win an Oscar this year. People are growing up
> not knowing what acting is. Will Smith is totally NOT our Clint
> Eastwood. Clint Eastwood is. There is no other actor who has
> mastered his craft and then gone on to master the craft of
directing.
> He is not our Robert Redford, Don Cheadle is. Look at Cheadle's
body
> of work and look at Redford's. Cheadle can and does carry movies,
> and has done so for about 12 years now. Will Smith is the new Tom
> Cruise, and Samuel L Jackson is the new Harrison Ford. And that's
> great. But there are about 20 Black actors and actresses who can
> act circles around them both. This chart should be a wake-up call
> to the studio system to bring things back to the "Golden era".
> Every studio should have a "Will Smith".
>

> On Feb 15, 2009, at 10:00 AM, ravenadal wrote:
>
> > I'm just saying don't hate on Big Willie for being successful. Lil
> > Wayne doesn't float my boat (I am touting Raphael Saddiq's
excellent
> > but poor selling "The Way I See It") but I don't hate on him for
> > selling more CDs than anybody else (rap, rock, r&b, country, et
al) in
> > 2008.
> >
> > My point is your commentary is not germane to this discussion.
That
> > Mr. Smith fills seats is a indisputable fact - it is not a matter
of
> > opinion of conjecture - and filling seats is what the theater
owners
> > touted him for. Get this - the theater owners ONLY care about who
> > fills their seats and sells their popcorn. Me, personally, I would
> > love to see Chiwetel Ejiofor work more because Mr. Ejiofor is an
> > amazing actor who is able to shed and assume many different skins.
> > daydream about creating roles for Mr. Ejiofor.
> >
> > But, like Lil Wayne's "snub" at the Grammies (eight nominations, 2
> > wins in the rap "ghetto"), the Oscars is the place to spank Big
Willie
> > and to award the likes of Dame Dench (go Taraji P.! and, while we
are
> > on the subject, does Taraji P. Henson go by Taraji P. to
distinguish
> > herself from that OTHER Taraji Henson?).
> >
> > That said, I continue to have nothing but admiration for how Mr.
Smith
> > handles his business. He is our Paul Newman, our Robert Redford,
our
> > Clint Eastwood, heck, our Brad Pitt, and, too often, we not only
fail
> > to see it - we fail to admire it.
> >
> > And, to honor both Mr. Smith recent accomplishment and Mr.
Saddiq's
> > late great band, let me say one mo' time....Money! Mone! Moni! Big
> > Willie Does It Again!
> >
> > ~rave!
> >
> > --- In scifinoir2@yahoogroups.com , Keith Johnson <KeithBJohnson@>
> > wrote:
> > >
> > > Well, like I said, Smith may get others in the seats, but I'm
not
> > one of them. I don't see the problem. The list was of stars who
seem
> > to bring a lot of people in, i'm simply saying Smith doesn't bring
> > *me* in, and then listed the stars that do. I could care less
about
> > whether Judi Dench headlined a movie, I go to see good actors do
good
> > work in good films. If more people quit focusing on superstars and
> > actually supported talent in all its forms, then more actors and
> > actresses would be seen for the talent they have.

US/Canada
> > Eastern
> > > Subject: [scifinoir2] Re: Will Smith -- The Only Sure Thing At
The
> > Box Office
> > >

> > > Clive Owen is one actor on your list below whose films are
> > > consistently watchable but, for whatever reason, they are seldom
box
> > > office successes. Viggo Mortensen's "The History of Violence" is
one
> > > of my all-time favorites but it did diddly-squat at the box
office.

> > > Your list of female movie stars makes me doubt you as a reliable
> > > narrator. When was the last time Dame Judi Dench headlined a
movie?
> > > Heck, when was the last time Angela Bassett headlined a movie?
Both
> > > Kimberly Elise and Taraji P. Henson are fine actresses but
> > neither can
> > > open a movie.
> > >
> > > Will Smith's accolade was for his ability to consistently fill
> > theater
> > > seats. Let's not compare apples and oranges.
> > >
> > > ~rave!
> > >
> > > --- In scifinoir2@yahoogroups.com , Keith Johnson
<KeithBJohnson@>

> > actors, I'm
> > > much more likely to see a flick with Don Cheadle, Chiwetel
Ejiofor,
> > > Clive Owen, Viggo Mortensen, Robert Duvall. Maybe De Niro if
it's
> > not
> > > Meet the Parents or Righteous Kill type crap. And I'd actually
place
> > > Clooney higher up on my list than Smith. In fact, I can't
> > remember the
> > > last time I saw a movie because Smith was in it. I saw "Hancock"
and
> > > "I Am Legend" because they were scifi, and "Hitch" because it
was a
> > > romantic comedy I could share with my wife. The other males
below,
> > > I'll certainly consider--especially Damon and Di Caprio--but
depends
> > > on the type of movie they're in. I will say, I do wish Christian
> > > Slater were still doing good work, for he'd certainly be on my
list.

> > Angela
> > > Bassett (keep hoping she finally finds the roles that utilize
her
> > > massive talent), Meryl Streep (who's really impressed me with
her
> > > continually good work as she gets older), Kimberly Elise
(woefully
> > > underappreciated actress), Taraji P. Henson (hard not to be
engaged
> > > with, even with unintentionally funny stuff like "He don't love
> > me no
> > > 'mo'!" in "Baby Boy"), Cate Blanchett, Jodi Foster, Queen
Latifah
> > > (good dramatic and comedic actress), Sanaa Lathan.

> > > people away. For me, that would include Adam Sandler (don't get
his
> > > humour), Pauly Shore (how does he get work?), Jim Carey (most of
his
> > > stuff is too manic for me), David Spade (loved him on TV, can't
> > abide
> > > his film work), Mila Jovovich (horrible movie choices), Kate
Hudson
> > > (she's sure to star in wretched romantic comedies that make you
> > gag).

US/Canada
> > > Eastern
Box
> > > Office

> > > marquee guarantees a movie's success, according to most
analysts. In
> > > Forbes magazine's Star Currency survey, Smith was the only film
star
> > > to receive a perfect score of 10. Others in the top ten
included:
> > > Leonardo DiCaprio , Angelina Jolie , Brad Pitt , Tom Hanks ,
George