GW,

The Galactica Syndrome... I like that! :)

I should state, I really *like* what was done with the new Galactica. That was
a true rebooting that borrowed elements of the original and came up with
something fresh and new. And I might argue that BSG's changes were appreciated
by people like me who remember fondly the original, but also love this one.

Of course, the new BSG is a "re-make"---the way the X-Universe is remade every
time there's a movie, cartoon, etc. It's easier to accept it, because no matter
what happens in the X-men movies, the X-Universe of the comic book world
continues to sail along. Unlike "re-make" movies however, Trek movies and shows
and books tend to inter-connect. They don't exist side by side, the way an
X-movie may exist alongside (but not within) the dominant X-Universe.

This new Trek however isn't actually a re-make, but it doesn't interconnect
either--at least with anything past the Enterprise era. It involves an
alternate timeline/reality that deviates from the old Trek but not completely
divorced from it. Trek has certainly flirted with alternate universes before
(Mirror, Mirror), but this is the first one I know of based on an altering of
the dominant universe we're used to. Usually when that happens, by the end of
the episode everything rights itself (Yesterday's Enterprise). We now have two
major Trek universes however.

So will this new one spawn new series? Books? Will this universe ever overlap
with the other one? Be interesting to watch...

Sin/Black Galactus