I think the difference in a lot of the older films and now was that they
actually had martial arts skills. If someone back then didn't have skills
they would slow down the film speed to speed them up on playback. Now they
shoot a lot tighter shots and often the two people are not in the same shot,
so you see someone kicking, but it is not connecting to anything. Then they
cut to the kick connecting in a completely different shot.

On Fri, Jan 1, 2010 at 9:26 AM, Keith Johnson <keithbjohn...@comcast.net>wrote:

> I disagree that Blair Witch is more of a gimmick, as you seem to suggest. I
> think the "guessing" was actually suspenseful. I see why you aren't crazy
> about it though: people loved or hated it. Despite its simplistic nature, i
> an watch it right now and still be creeped out by it. For me it evokes those
> feelings of being lost and alone in a strange place, of fearing things that
> go bump in the night, and of not knowing whether one is being menaced by
> curious fortest animals, ghouls, or simple mundane serial killers.
>

> But i agree that many of its better elements have been co-opted by way too
> many in H'wood, with disastrous results. If you read any of my posts here,
> you know i detest the new trend for shaky and over-active camera work. It's
> one thing to add a bit of FX to enhance a story, but the folks directing and
> shooting nowadays have no concept of subtlety. When I saw G.I. Joe, i was
> amazed at how awful the camera work was. I literally couldn't tell what was
> going on in the fights. I'd see a move, and say "I *think* it was a cool
> move", but couldn't be sure because the camera literally didn't stay on a
> single angle for more than *two* seconds in a single fight or battle scene
> (i started timing them).
>

> Recently the retro film channels on cable have been running a lot of  Bruce
> Lee and Jet Li marathons and the like. I sit there and watch great fights,
> including both men doing things that still amaze me. And with Lee,
> especially, I watch the camera stand back from a vantage where I can see
> everything he's doing, i can see his opponent(s), I can take it all in, it's
> fast-paced and exciting, but it's not dizzying. I really don't get why so
> many directors are doing this.

Bringing diversity to perversity for over 9 years!