Keith, the New Adventures were initially just books, but have since gone
into audiobook and radio formats. They aren't considered official canon by
the Beeb, but many fans take them as such. Here's a link:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virgin_New_Adventures

In addition to Bernice Summerfield, they've also introduced a number of
companions who are every bit as beloved as the ones you know from the series
run.